A young Alexander the Great taming Bucephalus.
Bucephalus, the horse that Alexander the Great rode for thousands of miles and through many battles to create his mighty empire.
The legend begins with Philoneicus, a Thessalian bringing a wild horse to Philip II, the father of Alexander the Great. Philip was angry at Phinoneicus for bringing such an unstable horse to him but Alexander had watched Bucephalus and set his father a challenge. Although Alexander was only 12 years old, he had noticed that Bucephalus was shying away from his own shadow. Alexander gently led Bucephalus into the sun so that his shadow was behind him. Eventually Bucephalus allowed Alexander to ride him, much to the public humiliation of Philip. Philip gained face by commenting “Look thee out a kingdom equal to and worthy of thyself, for Macedonia is too little for thee”. Alexander named the horse Bucephalus because the horse’s head seemed “as broad as a bulls”.
Bucephalus, the mighty stallion, died of battle wounds in 326B.C in Alexander’s last battle. Alexander founded the city of Bucephala in memory of his wonderful horse.
I’ve always loved the name Bucephalus.
♥ 30 notes
2 years ago
- theboneherald likes this
- grandpanacea reblogged this from princessofclay
- princessofclay reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- shewantssnow reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- sadgirlanthem likes this
- lntrepid-traveler reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- ourladyofhighlighters reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- mooserrific likes this
- voicessayhello reblogged this from cacchieressa and added:
- voicessayhello likes this
- cacchieressa reblogged this from devildoll and added:
- cacchieressa likes this
- devildoll reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- tisiphoneofalexandria reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- thughugs likes this
- unbledstories likes this
- kissmesinclair reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- roosterhunter reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- xxtraterrestrial likes this
- awesomearchives reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- hosenalloikosmoi-archive reblogged this from 0nlybyth3n1ght
- 0nlybyth3n1ght posted this